Thursday, January 15, 2009

Increasing Traffic and Dialogue

One of the things I'd like to do with this blog is make it a "go to" place for Performing Artists and patrons alike... especially those living and working in Iowa. So if there is content you would specifically like to see included on this site. Please let me know.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be a "go to" site for Performing Arts in the Greater Des Moines Metro and Iowa at large. I'm trying to fill the void. Jeff Bruner, former critic from the Des Moines Register was the last person to write a performing arts blog that people here in the Metro would visit with any amount of frequency. At least that's the last time I remember there being any significant amount of discussion regarding theatre.

As far as getting out information, Thatcher Williams over at Change (formerly Theater... For a Change), has done a really good job at disseminating upcoming show info via a weekly email blast. But as far as there being a forum for discussion, there doesn't seem to be one. So I'm offerring to develop such a forum at this site.

I realize that confining disussion to theatre only would probably not generate a ton of discussion, so I'm keeping it open to Performing Arts in general including dance, opera, poetry slam, music... anything that involves performers and audiences. I will probably also include film-making as it pertains to the many disciplines of storytelling including writing, acting, lighting design, and sound design.

Lastly, this blog is also meant to highlight advancements in the Performing Arts and the incoporation of new technologies in and approaches to production. I strongly believe that in order for the Performing Arts to remain a strong and vital part of society and continue to grow they must reach out to newer, younger audiences. And part of doing that is embracing these ideals.

So please feel free to write in and comment.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, this is Scotty Zacher from ChicagoTheaterBlog.com. Thanks for listing me on your bloglist. That's very nice of you.

    Best of luck with your arts blog. Blogging can be time consuming, but also very rewarding. My goal is to try to get as many people out to see theater as possible. Looks like you're heading the same way.

    By the way, I had no idea that you could connect a Twitter account with your blog. Have you found this to be useful/helpful? Are people able to send you info to post this way? (I guess I'm totally clueless when it comes to Twitter).

    Take care, and PLEASE stay warm. scotty@whimzee.net

    ReplyDelete